This deconstructed stuffed pepper dish packs a wallop of flavor. I truly make it all the time, and I make sure my freezer’s stocked with single-serve portions to take to work. —Rebecca Ende, Phoenix, New York
Total Time Prep/Total Time: 30 min.Makes 4 servings
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring stock to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with peppers and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in quinoa. Freeze option: Place cooled quinoa mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- This dish really is a fusion of flavors. The garam masala and Italian flavors in the sausage don’t fight each other. They work together with the hint of cinnamon for a unique blend of balanced flavor.
- If you don’t keep vegetable stock on hand, chicken or beef stock could also be used.
- Broth can be used too, but think of stock like a blank canvas where you get to layer on the flavors. Broth is already seasoned.
1 cup: 261 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.