Summer’s the perfect time to toss up this watermelon salad. You’d never expect it, but spinach is awesome here. Eat it and feel cool on even the hottest days. —Marjorie Au, Honolulu, Hawaii
Test Kitchen Approved
Total Time Prep/Total Time: 30 min. Makes 8 servings
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach or arugula
- 3 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 cups cubed cantaloupe
- 2 cups cubed English cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk the first nine ingredients. In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat; serve immediately.
- Try adding a touch of honey to the dressing if your melon isn’t super sweet. It will wake it right up!
- English cucumbers are firmer and less watery than regular cukes. To aid your preparation of this salad, halve a regular cucumber lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds before cubing.
1 cup: 84 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.