This salad can be served as a cool and satisfying dinner or lunch. The delicious taste and smooth texture of avocados mixed with the crisp shrimp salad is heavenly. —Teri Rasey, Cadillac, Michigan
Test Kitchen Approved
Total Time Prep: 25 min. + chilling Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Lime wedges
- Place first seven ingredients in a large bowl. Mix lime juice, vinegar, oil and adobo seasoning; stir into shrimp mixture. Refrigerate, covered, to allow flavors to blend, about 1 hour.
- To serve, gently stir in avocados. Serve over lettuce or in lettuce leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
3/4 cup avocado mixture: 252 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch.